Friday, November 16, 2007

The first to admit something.

When someone explains something about themselves (e.g. "I'm a hot-headed person..."), and they follow it up with the phrase "...and I'm the first to admit it", doesn't it stand to reason that they're the only one who's able to admit it?!? Another person can exclaim that so-and-so is a hot-head, but they're not necessarily admitting it for that person! They're merely telling, or gossiping, or informing. Only the one mentioning his/her personality traits can do the admitting.

I experienced this with a co-worker only recently, and his choice of words really had me thinking. I'm wondering what other turns of phrase seem to make little sense when scrutinized more thoroughly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I'm just sayin'"

When I hear someone say that (or as I must admit, hear myself saying it) I just want to ask a couple of questions. "What do you think I thought you were doing - more than sayin'?"

And do you think I should ignore the stupid thing you "just said" simply because, before I could spit out just how stupid it was, you deflected me by this statement of the obvious?

I'm just askin and I'll be the first to admit it.