Sunday, December 16, 2007

You Oughta Be Truthin'

I was amazed when I discovered (or rather was told) that there is no verb in the English language for telling the truth. Anybody want to take a shot at why?

The closest I have seen is a line in Nancy Sinatra's one-hit-wonder "These Boots Are Made For Walking":

You keep lying, when you oughta be truthin'
and you keep losin' when you oughta not bet.
You keep samin' when you oughta be changin'.
Now what's right is right, but you ain't been right yet.


I'll have to think about whether there is a single verb in English for staying the same.

5 comments:

Dan said...

I propose the coining (and subsequent recognition) of the word "veracify," the act of habitually observing the truth or telling the truth.

It's not in Dictionary.com or in Urban dictionary.com.

It has the proper cognate(s) and is only one letter off from the word veracity, if you replace veracity's "t" with an "f".

My Google search has come up with nothing that looks deliberate or consistent. What do you both say? It only had about 15 hits total.

Example: "Listen to him veracify with such openness and glibness."

EslGedPrep said...

Verity in the King's English is a thing truly true.
Verify is to determine that its true, too.

I veracify and I do not lie,
I like the sound of this word,
that ends in "fy".

Christopher said...

Hmmm. I like it too.

That makes it unigamous.

Anonymous said...

I could find only one instance of the word unigamous in all of Googledom. It was in a book about polygamy. I think the author meant societies that practiced monogamy, but I'm not positive.

I think the word you were grasping for was anonymous.

Dan said...

I, too, am most interested in that new word, but I'll just take Dave's word on it. Thanks for the support of my new word. I'm looking forward to actually employing it somewhere in my unofficial writings, hoping that I'll really stump someone.